Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery - Pounding Branch Persimmon Melomel

Looking to satisfy a sweet craving I opened our last remaining bottle of Virginia wine, the Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery Pounding Branch Persimmon Melomel. We had purchased the wine during a visit almost two years ago and stored away - forgetting the wine's profile. It's basically a 60-40 blend of honey wine and persimmon wine. Expecting a sweet honey wine, I was surprised to sip a dry wine and quickly swapped out the dessert vessel for a larger glass. Now I know why I purchased it. The wine has a nice fruit aroma and flavor up front and then a smooth dry honey finish. The honey remains basically from the mid-palette to the tail. Way to go Hill Top; I need to get back for more; although supplies are limited and depend on harvest of the persimmon crop on the mountain.

No comments: